Thursday, June 26, 2008

Case of the Can't s

I'm sitting here, 9:30 in the morning, eating a Hershey bar and blasting out a mix of Christian music. Yes, chocolate at 9:30 in the morning. Hey, it's mid-afternoon in France! Vive la France, oui? Et Notre Dame de Lourdes!

Ladies and gentlemen, I have case of the can't s. So I am applying the appropriate mix of prayer, music and chocolate. And I do mean a mix, because Vivaldi's Gloria is being followed by Jars of Clay singing "Frail." Yes, when down, give God glory and praise. That gives great perspective. It's all good. (Or, as we just learned in St. Pat's Bible study on the letter of James, "Count it all joy!") Then admit your frailty and great need. It's okay to need Him. Really.


I'm not entirely sure how I made this slide down, but God has used it to teach me some very important things.

We all get to this point. Nothing is really wrong with life, but we are tired. Things look hard and little lying whispers tell you how hard or impossible or time consuming or selfish certain things would be. Or maybe the whispers tell you that you are not doing enough -- the trap of doing too much. Then doubt comes -- are you SURE you're doing what God wants? The sin of sloth creeps in. Then we feel overwhelmed and guilty by all the work that needs to be done and decisions that need to be made. Mix that with distraction and a sense of distance from God (however untrue) and Voila!

So, what have I learned? One example:


Vacation Bible School John is a 5th grader. Last year of elementary school. Last year to be a VBS participant. Junior High and High School kids are volunteers -- they work and help during the week.

It is a little daunting, to think of all the decisions and changes for next year. Should we let John on to Boy Scouts? At what point will CCD become to difficult for him? What about VBS next year? Ugh, and the Jr High IEP! But lets not go there yet.

I had settled in my mind that this was our last year for VBS. I could not imagine what kind of things John could do as a helper. Now, THAT kind of thinking is NOT like me. (So, be aware, even your most positive sounding parent of a special needs kid may end up being negative. Beware! Don't assume they are always right when they say the kid "can't" do something.)

Praise God, a mother in charge of the main check-in table, K, asked me how John was doing at VBS. Then she related to me how her daughter, B, was asking what John would do next year when he was in Junior High. I (negative lady) interjected that I had no idea and was not sure if he'd participate. Fortunately, K went on to say that she was pleased that B was thinking about John volunteering next year. (Mea Culpa!) Then she and another mother immediately came up with the ideal job for John.

The next day, I watched my son be swarmed by young lady volunteers AND some 5th grade girls, too. (John is extremely cute, if I do say so myself.) One of the volunteer's mothers came up to me at the end of the night, introduced herself, and related how much fun her daughter was having working with John -- how she talks about him every night.

Okay, I'm crying now.

You see, by SHOWING UP (see my past posts), we helped encourage a can-do attitude with the kids of the parish. Of course John should be there! Of course he should be involved! Why not? So, when I fell, the children of God (and their holy Moms) were there to pick me up.

SHOW UP. HOPE. And LISTEN TO THE KIDS.

My grandmother always said, "There's no such thing as can't." Or, to put in in the context of the great gift of the Incarnation and Redemption (talk about something that seemed impossible!), "For with God nothing will be impossible." (Lk1:37 RSV)

So let us respond, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." (Lk 1:38)


Okay, where's my rosary....

Blessed be God.

No comments: